Yeah, training's been a bit patchy....


Sunday, February 19, 2012

Discipline

Time manamgement has never been a strong point of mine. I have fun. I get distracted. I lose sight of the looming enormities of everyday existence in lieu of something momentarily amazing.
That ain't going to get me through this year.

For survival, it's eating to a budget (in fact, often eating at all!). To nurture a long-distance relationship with Rita, it's working to a plan and making the most of fleeting moments. To grow a happy Kid, it's taking the time to do stuff and be a good dad. To avoid financial death, it's staying tight and working the hours for the jobs that earn money right now.
Everything is discipline.

This week's run bars - lots of good and a little bit of bad. Fantastic.

Keeping the running going is yet another act of discipline - often one of the hardest to pull off for me, when I'm tired, hungry, hot or anxious after work, or stuck against deadlines for the Kid (like dinner).
When it happens, though, it's a wonder that I would ever contemplate skipping it. Particularly barefoot - just touching the road is a refreshing thing.


Today's run was 13.3km across the Windan bridge and the Causeway - the old lazy loop - simple, smooth and non-challenging - great for getting the technique right and strengthening my feet. Tonight, though, it didn't go so great. Maybe the Kid on the bike was subconsciously making me go faster than normal, but I got badly rubbed by 11km and had to put the Fingens on over a couple of larger blisters - my first in a long time. These are both placed just behind my fourth toe on each foot - an unusual place - perhaps indicating that I'm twisting too much on landing again.

rotate! rotate!

Once the Fingens went on, though, the pace shot up to blast it home. One downside of this achilles trouble I've had (and almost gotten clear of) is an annoying, painless "click" in my ankle on almost every footfall. During the day, with a bit of chatter, it isn't noticeable, but at night, when I love the silence of barefoot, it's excruciating!

No comments:

Post a Comment