Yeah, training's been a bit patchy....


Sunday, March 11, 2012

Running on Mars

Note: For some reason, no matter how I rotate or un-rotate images, they like to appear on their side. 
Tilt Yer 'Ed. 
Today I returned to the Bibbulmun, thinking that the worst of summer may be behind us. Sure, it wasn't so hot (though I was out just before dusk), but the dryness was incredible.


The trails have weathered summer badly - many sections have turned to sand, and the remainder are strewn with sharp rocks no longer held together by the soil. In the afternoon sun, the open areas look like pictures from NASA.


expanses of red rock
normal trail condition - this ain't Fingers territory!
I ran the first section of the track (the hardest bit - stupid!) - 10km out to the powerlines and back. The trail beyond this point eases off dramatically to smoother rollers, but today, the sharp hills were death on legs.
I gave the race shoes a spin today, figuring that they were the most snug protection I have, but they still don't offer enough side protection - lots of scuffs and stumbles. I wonder if the numerous stubbed toes and near falls are a result of having a rubber sole under my foot for the first time in a while.


The trails were real tough I'm going to try it out with the fingers at some stage - I have to feel it. Te downhills are the issue - they are so steep, it is almost impossible to not land on the heels - even letting go and rolling the legs over at a pace to match the incline gets completely out of control. I expect the Fingers would be more grippy, though - many of today's slips were just losses of friction in all the twisting and turning on sandy rocks.




Regardless of the trail condition, this is the running I really enjoy - going Yippee on the flat smooth patches between the rocks and getting the quickstep going on the rough descents.
More mileage - need to get out beyond the wier again......

No comments:

Post a Comment