Yeah, training's been a bit patchy....


Monday, March 21, 2011

After Dinner / Before Dinner

Last night, dangerously soon after a big dinner, I went out for a gentle run. I ran to the 5km turnaround and felt OK, so I went to the 12k turnaround. At the 20km turnaround, I figured it was time to not be silly. 1:36:04 ended up being a good night out, though my calves are rubbish today - wanted to put in a squirt home (since I've been falling into the start fast / die home trap), so I must've ended up rolling up onto my toes a bit too much.

Happily, I found the "float" sensation again between 12 and 15km - like being pulled up by the head and using the feet simply to paddle some forward motion rather than carry weight - really amazing. I had alternating patches of weightlessness and heaviness - about 200m weightless and 100m heavy. This seems to be happening just as I start to get tired and at about a 70% speed. Not able yet to control the sensation, but it'll sure be fun to continue working on it.

Had a solid day at work today, though one dumb moment will cost me a few hours tomorrow - a moment of inattention while molding saw me crash the tiny core pin inside the mold and crush it, so now I have to re-make it. Tiny and detailed (and steel), so slow to make, but good therapy.

Took a gentle spin around the river tonight on the bike to ease my calves out. Storms building over the east hills provided a great light show, and I was able to continue my infatuation with the panorama feature on the phone...

Perth city from South Perth
Was planning to take a short barefoot run immediately after the ride tonight, but it started getting too late for dinner and a few bits of work. In triathlon-world a ride/run combination like this is called a "brick" - perhaps because it feels like passing one - one day I'll be organised enough to experience one.

A huge pasta/veges/salami/ham/olives/sundried tomato/bok choy dinner has me feeling sleepy already, so, with some accounts still be done tonight...........

No comments:

Post a Comment