Yeah, training's been a bit patchy....


Monday, April 4, 2011

gentle reminders

breakfast of champions


Had a few days with either not much to say, or not much worth listening to, though in this time I've been reminded of a few things I knew, and shouldn't forget:

  1. Sleeping in with the knowledge that the afternoon is full of meetings and the kid is not the best way to make sure a session gets done.
  2. Long runs should not be done on a whim and without any real preparation or thought.
    Sunday started well with a nice long paddle from Garret Road out past Ascot, followed by a couple of hours fishing under the Garret Road bridge (well, I was already in the kayak!). A quick (note quick = small) lunch followed by a couple of hours in the office led me to a loose end...... a run!
    So on with an old pair of shoes, a glance at Google Earth for a course, and off into the dusk I go.
    It ended up a horrific 25km - the shoes were painful from the start and Google Earth, while showing great representations of landmarks, doesn't so well indicate the big expanses of darkness in patches of bushland, several of which I found and clambered around in for some time, before discovering the farthest identifiable road. No water, no food. Dumb run.
  3. Little niggles turn into big niggles when barefoot. If it hurts, go gentle or go short.
    A cleansing barefoot jaunt was on the card tonight. Ignoring the fact that my right leg was virtually locked up after last night, I set off in a buoyant mood with the thought of the passing of another milestone - heading out for a barefoot run without backup shoes tucked into my shorts. The stiffness in my legs dissipated, but some rubbing crept in after 6km on my right foot. 5km from home, the rubbing ain't going away, regardless of form corrections and concentration - once a blister spot has formed, it is impossible not to favour it.
    1:02:12 got me home, with only a very minor blister on the outside of my right foot and stupidity intact.

on the river near Ascot

No comments:

Post a Comment