Yeah, training's been a bit patchy....


Sunday, April 10, 2011

Lazy Sundays?

Sundays tend to become a little melancholic when the Kid leaves and the house is plunged into silence after a morning of manic 8-year-old fun (this morning it was an epic sword fight with foam sabres - "it ranged all over.... both were masters..." type of thing).
I find myself with time to think about today's training, domestics not done and the week ahead.


My neighbour (a viola player with WASO), has been providing a muted accompaniment to the washing up and tidying for an hour or so, prior to joining me for a ride this afternoon. He has just lashed out on a road bike for the first time and has done it right and gotten all the gear he needs for a pleasant experience. I doubt he'll need to look closely at me this afternoon to note the lurid shade of envious green in my eyes....
We'll take an easy Narrows loop - there'll be a pig of a headwind, but for his second ride ever, it'll be a nice roll.


Later I'm planning on a long run - probably the same loop with some extras tacked on down to the Maylands Golf club to try making it up to 25km in the Fingens. As both my remaining pairs of running shoes now are painful, I will focus all attention on sorting out all my workouts bare or minimal. The price of shoes may yet be a great driver in this minimalist quest....


So, as a token nod to suitable long-run fuelling, I've stuffed in a big kangaroo sandwich, and I'm about to embark on a little chocolatey goodness from last night - one of those self-saucing puddings, split up into individual mug sized treats. Lots of water in the hole today, too - last week's lesson looms large in my memory.






I will also attempt to get some balls. For the run. Running Balls. This time I think I'll go back to the original chia pinole balls if I have time (maybe should stop writing and get making!) or a quick-fix peanut butter and oats creation from frayed laces. I'll take one of my prototype pods with me on my waistband, to see if it bounces too much, or is hard to open on the run. If it seems OK, I have the injection molds ready for machining in the office. [Later note: Worked fine - I'll post results here when it's time to recruit product testers...)




The gap between ride and run today will likely be taken up finding suitably long podcasts to last a long run. I've enjoyed some long discussions on anatomy and physiology as they relate to athletes and running, and I have a few podcasts from runblogger yet to finish. Unfortunately, it seems that "Why we Run" is not available as an audiobook, so I might have to go to paper on that one.


Today (US time), IW races an olympic distance triathlon - a relative sprint for her, given the recent monster efforts. Once again, her effort just to get to the startline and easygoing passage through these events is rather inspirational.

PS. The ride with my neighbour was good fun - Perth has again turned on a wind that smears your face - so I know which direction to run the loop....

PPS. The run. Again, what a difference a day makes! I made it through 20km in 1:36:50 and couldn't go the extra 5km because of painfully rubbing (though not blistered) feet. I slipped off the VFF's at about 17km, but could only manage about 500m before it just got too uncomfortable. I have terrible trouble cracking 15km in the VFFs, due to rubbing becoming excessive under the balls of the feet. The messier technique and this pre-existing rub make switching out to barefoot after this rather uncomfortable. I have heard on various forums that people have a "sweat problem" with VFF's - maybe this sort of distance limit I am reaching has something to do with that? Dr Google, I presume?.....

PPPS. So, my feet and calves are sore, but all up, a jolly good day in the sunshine. Good luck IW!

No comments:

Post a Comment