Yeah, training's been a bit patchy....


Sunday, December 11, 2011

Freeways

Sunday arrived armed with a load of pent-up mental energy, and not enough physical activity in the week to blunt it.
I took the silver surfer (my single-speed messenger bike) out on to the path alongside the Kwinana freeway - running from Perth city south to Mandurah - full length about 90km.
Being adjacent to the freeway means the path is wide, flat, smooth, straight and generally completely uninteresting  apart from the lack of civilisation - perfect for a therapy session.



Getting on and sitting on a cadence for hours is somehow satisfying, but ultimately a bit painful. Rather than pulling off to Rockinhgam on the beach, I stayed on course and simply turned around at 60km (told you it was dull!). Happily, the constant headwind became my saviour to blow me home in 5:15 for the 120km.

The last 15km brought me undone, as first my right, then, a few minutes later, the left hamstring cramped severely. After a short roll in the undergrowth and whimpery / sweary noises, I was able to keep going, strangely feeling a whole lot better (like you do right after a good puke - remember?)

The timing of the cramps tells me two things - I outrode my fitness level, and my nutrition was poor. A banana, 2 espresso gels, a few shot blocks, 6 oreos and a carton of vanilla "up&go", plus 3 litres of water, didn't have what those muscles needed. Something to work on.

Oreos on the move.

Being so non-technical, the path offers a unique opportunity to spend considerable time updating facebook stati, sending messages and calling ones' mother. All rather amusing and, I'm sure, provided a truly thrilling kilometer-by-kilometer commentary of a spectacular sporting event for those on the receiving end.

Getting home and acquanting myself with the coolness of my floor gave me a whole new appreciation of how far 1200km is. The little bites remain satisfying...

No comments:

Post a Comment