Yeah, training's been a bit patchy....


Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cornbread and home-made gatorade

After a day shovelling rocks and tossing bricks, a nap would've been terminal, so, some domestic creation took off instead.

First : Cornbread. Easy and yummy, as follows:
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1 tblsp baking powder
  • 1 egg
Mix it up, cook it. No problem, right? Cook for 45 minutes to 1.5 hours at 180degrees C, right?
No. Try about 30 minutes, or it'll lose the golden part of "golden brown" and look like you found it in a paddock.
Tip for young players: don't take a nap while it's cooking....
It was still yummy, just a bit dry...

Second was home made "Gatorade" type electrolyte drink. Of the innumerable recipes on the web, I chose this one because I had all the ingredients in the cupboard. The objective was to make something that would replenish me after a long run, and not taste like arse.
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon lite salt
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • water (unstated in the recipe, but I made it up to 2Litres)
The verdict. Unless ice cold (when the sensation of cold is rather pleasant), it tastes like arse.
I'm going to dilute it again by half, but I suspect I will reach homeopathic concentrations before it tastes good. I like honey and I like lemons, but at this mix rate, it's just sticky and way strong. If it is heavily diluted, any benefit of the potassium / sodium / sugar component will be rendered useless by the amount of water.

A pleasant evening's "recovery snack", then, consisted of a slice of cornbread and a cup of what looked like something that belonged in a doctor's office.


I survived, but I'd rather feel a little drained after a run......

No comments:

Post a Comment