Yeah, training's been a bit patchy....


Monday, January 31, 2011

yet another fresh start

5km barefoot!
Anyone who has ever seen me tippytoe across a carpark will recognise that this is a momentous occasion. I've run little bits barefoot - usually tacking it on the end of a long haul, but this is the first time I set out to go nudie and having the time to settle in, feel it, and be conscious of technique and foot position is really amazing. The ability to feel where your feet are is difficult to explain - maybe fascinating is a word.

I did this run at night (it's almost midnight) to avoid being seen, plus, it's guaranteed deathly quiet on the paths and being dark, there's the added challenge of not being able to pussyfoot around all the minute poky bits. I recall only three or four sharp jabs along the way, but my soles are unscathed. The achilles are currently enjoying icepacks, and came away feeling OK, too.

OK - this is where the purists would chime in with "I told you so" - I ran the first bit is crumbly paving in the VFF's. The sensation of changing to bare was swamped by the novelty of it, but the change back at the end was like putting on clogs! I can see immediately now why my ankles have been taking such a clobbering - the VFF's somehow prompt me to run much higher on my toes.

hmmmm.. May have to keep going with this crazy caper.

No comments:

Post a Comment