Yeah, training's been a bit patchy....


Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hunter Gatherer

In the absence of any food in the house tonight, I took the risky option and went out in the river in the kayak and 3 prawns.
Two very nice bream and a yellowatil later, I am full. Nice. Only a few minutes pan fried with butter and garlic and dinner is done.

Yesterdays run was an 80% one. The usual course around the river and across at the Causeway went much faster than usual, particularly the start, so it came home at 52:30 for the 12km, giving an average of about 4:20min/km. The faster runs in the fingens provide some soreness in the ankles and achilles, due just to the greater impact of scrappy technique at higher speed. As I get faster, I tend to waver between the correct technique of falling forward from the hips and the old habit of lengthening stride and pushing off the toes.
A solid bike ride afterward stretched out the achilles quite nicely, so there was no lingering soreness.

There's no tenderness, a little tightness, but do I have inflamed / swollen ankles? Maybe it's the start of cankles?
My ankles / bottom of shins are much larger than previous, and much tighter. The definition of the thin achilles tendon seems to have disappeared, but it doesn't hurt at all.........
Must watch this.

Tonight's run was with the WAMC again. I like these guys. They're totally mad. I've found a Saturday morning long run group, too......
The run was the standard 14km loop, with a slow start and a a steady chase of the frontrunners. Eventually, thanks to water stops, I caught them, and we all rolled home. Eventually not an easy run, but enjoyable, hopefully for all. 14km in 1:08:00 = avg 4:48min/km.
This run, while it became pretty tough toward the end, was actually the same pace as the weekend long run! Happily, this gives me one piece of news - I run appropriately hard by myself.

Today was dramatically unproductive. Not only am I generally tired thanks to a couple of late nights, I am finding some anxiety in the flood situation going on in Toowoomba and Brisbane, hoe birthplace and previous home town, respectively. The extent of damage is truly astonishing, and i can help be torn between between a gleeful smugness and a great sympathy for the lady who bought my house in Rocklea only in may 2010. Today, only its roof is visible above the waterline. In May, when it sold, I clearly remember the sales agents saying " with all the mitigation measures in place since 1974, that level of flooding could never occur again...."
I can only imagine the state I'd be in if my garden and house were slowly disappearing, sans flood insurance...

All the best to them. So far, I have no reports of family or friends in real trouble. Fingers crossed for the expected peak in about 4 hours from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment