Yeah, training's been a bit patchy....


Friday, January 28, 2011

This week I've read a few really interesting things:

The first relates to why marathons are so darn hard - the "Double Step-Up"

"Most marathon training programs never have you running more than about 32 kilometres at one time. In addition, these long runs are usually performed at well below your desired race pace.
This means that in order to reach your goal time come race day, you need to do the double step up.
This is the problem of needing on race day to both run further a lot further than you've ever run before, at a pace significantly faster than you've ever run a long run at before."

from http://www.sub3hour.com/longruns.shtml

The result of this thinking is to add both hard long runs and slow extra-long runs to the program, so neither the protracted speed nor distance of the race marathon is a shock to the body. This makes perfect sense to me. I wonder why this isn't part of normal programs?

Amusingly, it makes the same sort of sense to me as the biomechanics of running barefoot, and here I am with dodgy ankles....... sigh.......

The other thing was a forum post by a chap who's been persisting with barefoot running for years, only now to experience the "breakthrough" of effortless technique and speed :

"For everyone who's been struggling to figure out a form that really works, keep
trying.
For my first six months, I ran in VFFs and made little progress. Now, after a
year and 500 miles of pure BFR, perhaps I've finally found the right form.
Suddenly, I just keep getting faster and faster. I could actually feel the
"conveyor belt" foot landing today that Ken Bob and others have mentioned. I'm
keeping my knees well bent and torso straight while making sure that I'm lifting
my feet.
During a 10-miler last weekend, I first noticed the change. I dropped over a
minute in my pace. On my 3-milers this week, I kept getting faster the further I
went, which is unusual.
When I'm running right these days, running feel almost effortless -- like I'm
gliding. My poor dog was having trouble keeping up at our 9:19 min/mile pace
today. I know that's not fast, but it is for us.
I won't even try to describe what's different, because it's just a feeling that
every part of me is working together -- not fighting against each other. The
only thing I can pass along is that I was probably landing with my feet too far
forward, since I was focusing TOO much on lifting my feet. Perhaps I may have
been bringing my knees too far forward, so that my feet weren't clearing behind
me. Almost like running in place.
Of course, for me, foot abrasions are the true test to see if this new form is
good. My feet are smooth and better than ever, so hurray."


davidrtownsend on the RunningBarefoot Yahoo group

So there's hope for me yet.
I need to get over my fear of being barefoot and make the most of the endless miles of amazing smooth and clean pathways around Perth - what an opportunity to give this a go!  Slowly slowly.

Tonight, after home made fish and chips, the kid wants to go night fishing. Yay! It was 40 degrees Celcius in Perth today, so a cool night by the water sounds very pleasant indeed.....

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Thanks for the link - I run www.sub3hour.com. I think the reason why "normal" programs by people much more experienced than me don't have that sort of training in it is simply risk mitigation - my goal was sub 3 hours or bust, which justified the extra strain on my body and hence risk-reward. For most people who are looking for a more sustainable approach to running marathons, the slower build up is probably the better approach.

    ReplyDelete